Sunday, May 24, 2009

What a way to spend the holiday.



I got the chance to paint for fun this weekend. I unearthed some old reference I took for a portrait of Catherine. She was about four at the time. I remember being very frustrated with her because she would only sit in odd, uncomfortable-looking positions. I scrapped the entire project, only getting three photos and a few sketches.
I found the file again last week and decided to take another crack at it. Painting traditionally is such a welcome change, although I can't hit the undo button when I make a mistake. Catherine looks very happy in this picture, but she was a miserable model.
I am working on a new portrait of her, one I hope will be done very soon. She is much more amiable now!
I think I have some more portrait reference of Margo back from the days when we called her Mickey. I am going to try to find it and paint another one tomorrow.
BTW, this one isn't done yet. I still have to paint the drapery in the background. Parts of her dress seem a bit too dark. Watercolor is tricky that way. I will have to scrub some of if out. I will post the final product when it's complete.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am an artist and illustrator. I work in traditional and digital media. I specialize in Equine subject matter.