Sunday, August 15, 2010

Still having fun with acrylics...


I am still working on acrylic portraits this week. It is so different than what I am used to. I haven't gotten tired of it yet.
This is a portrait in progress of Ralph. I don't like the dog too much. I am not sure if I should redo her completely or keep struggling along.
Painting a mature person represents whole new challenges. I have been going back and forth with the lines in his face, darkening them and lightening them. A balance must be struck or it won't look like him. Of course you don't want him to look like one of those dried apple head dolls either... with raisin eyes.
Yuck. Glad that fad is over.
I think I am going to start a new project and give this one a break for a couple of days.

1 comment:

Barry Slate said...

Actually I like the treatment of the dog. She's kind of a little surprise. Ralph is the dominant part of the picture, and having the dog adds another level of interest in the image. I think you did a super job with the portrait. It's like you've captured a moment instead of it being an official staged portrait. It has a relaxed feeling to it.

About Me

My photo
I am an artist and illustrator. I work in traditional and digital media. I specialize in Equine subject matter.