Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thinking about lighting.


At our critique in Texas last week there was some discussion about lighting and the mood it can create. There was one picture in particular- a woman standing outdoors at night. She was lit from the front, but also from behind- with a cooler light. This was called rim lighting- it is a device used over the years to beef up the drama in illustrations. Rim lighting was totally overused in movie posters in the 70's and 80's.
It got me thinking while I worked on this picture this week. It is an early morning scene but I am wondering if I could play up the back lighting a bit. I may have to make Ralph put on all of the Amish clothes and reshoot this pose.
I have been working on this picture for the last two days and am currently too close to it. I am going to take a break from it and work on another. I will open it again later in the week.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am an artist and illustrator. I work in traditional and digital media. I specialize in Equine subject matter.