Wednesday, July 8, 2009

More on the statue...







These posts really aren't in order, are they?
I thought I'd post a few shots of the statue in progress. What's interesting about these is what's going on in the background. It looks like beautiful countryside there, though the conditions seem primitive.
One thing that I find interesting is that the sculptor begins the work with the chunk of marble lying on a pile of rubble. I envisioned a studio with the marble upright on a stand, indoors with lighting. I also wonder what would happen if he cut away too much too soon. The expensive piece of marble would be lost. I guess that's why I am not a sculptor, LOL.
Apparently they had to send some of the craftsmen home due to the economy. The broker seemed very grateful for Rob's job. BTW, if you need something carved out of a chunk of marble, give these guys a call and keep a little town somewhere in China in business.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I am an artist and illustrator. I work in traditional and digital media. I specialize in Equine subject matter.